Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 22:27:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        "Conrad T. Pino" <Conrad@Pino.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIND 8.2.3 Crashing Question

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Conrad T. Pino wrote:

> Hello,
>
> BIND 8.2.3 is crashing entirely too frequently.  I'm running it as a non-root user and
> the working directory is not in the standard place.
>
> The same machine previously ran an earlier release FreeBSD with BIND 4.9.7 with no problems.
>
> I'm not ruling out faulty hardware as yet but I would like feedback on the software before
> pulling out the screw driver.
>
> Has anyone else used a similar configuration without crashing?

Well, I'm running it as root and it's core dumping at wierd intervals.
My solution at the moment has been to run a script out of cron to
restart it if it goes away.

I am suspicious of some sort of attack. We have two nameservers, located
at different ends of the US, and the west coast server, running
3.3-RELEASE has had no problems with 8.2.3-REL, but the east coast
server, running 4.1, has core dumped on two Monday mornings. Very
suspicious to me, but I can see nothing in the logs except what
you see, signal 11 (core dumped). I came in two Monday mornings to
pandemonium, so I noticed the time coincidence!

Is this a master or a slave? The one I'm having trouble with is
running as a slave. The west coast nameserver is the master and
it's fine.

-Jim Durham