Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 10:31:33 -0500
From:      "Frank E. Terhaar-Yonkers" <fty@mcnc.org>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -stable hangs at boot (fwd)

Having IPACCT defined also breaks -stable.  And no, I don't know WHY
I had this defined, but it turns on some of the ip_fw code in ip_input.c
resulting in a link error trying to find ip_fw_init.

- Frank

 >To: michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
 >cc: stable@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
 >Subject: Re: -stable hangs at boot (fwd)
 >Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 14:26:23 +0100
 >From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
 >
 >> If you ^C your way to a shell prompt, there's a single rule that's in the
 >> firewall list saying "deny all from any to any". Courtesy of the same recent
 >> brain-damage in ipfw(8), you can't delete this rule either ("setsockopt
 >> failed").
 >
 >If you call this "brain-damage" then you quite clearly don't need IPFW.
 >
 >> I suspect the very same problem in -current.
 >>
 >> The only workaround I can think of is to add "ipfw addf accept .."
 >> statements _prior_ to the running of ifconfig in netstart .. theory as yet
 >> untested ..
 >
 >This is all correct, designed that way, and it is the way it should work,
 >according to all material I have on the subject.
 >
 >If you have IPFW in your kernel, you don't want it to pass any packets
 >you haven't approved in your filters.
 >
 >QED:  Setup your filters before anything gets passed.
 >
 >Wrt to the rule #65535 "deny all from any to any", then you are correct,
 >you cannot delete it.  It represents the default policy of "anything not
 >specifically allowed, is banned.
 >
 >If you want to have another policy, they you must define rules that
 >implement that policy, "65000 allow all from any to any" sounds like the
 >policy for your needs.
 >
 >If you want to dispute this design, then please find at least one textbook
 >or capacity in the area who agree with you first, that will save a lot of
 >my time.
 >
 >--
 >Poul-Henning Kamp           | phk@FreeBSD.ORG       FreeBSD Core-team.
 >http://www.freebsd.org/~phk | phk@login.dknet.dk    Private mailbox.
 >whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
 >Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.

Frank Terhaar-Yonkers,  Manager
High Performance Computing and Communications Research
MCNC
PO Box 12889	3021 Cornwallis Road
Research Triangle Park,  North Carolina  27709-2889
fty@mcnc.org   voice (919)248-1417   FAX (919)248-1455

http://www.mcnc.org/hpcc.html