Date:      Fri, 2 May 2003 18:03:18 +0200
From:      Melvyn Sopacua <freebsd-stable@webteckies.org>
To:        Mark.Andrews@isc.org
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPv6 Resolver (or: Slow rendering of Webpages using Konqueror)

On Friday 02 May 2003 13:05, Mark.Andrews@isc.org wrote:

> > On Friday 02 May 2003 04:30, Mark.Andrews@isc.org wrote:

[ ... ]

> > > 	This is under application control.   The newer API's also
> > > 	have flags to say look at what address families are configured
> > > 	and only return addresses in this family.  Note you may still
> > > 	want to make queries for the other family so you stop searching
> > > 	when either address is found.
> >
> > So why not patch the libc (libisc/libresolv) functions, that they return
> > a valid NOERROR/NOTIMP response for any AF_INET6 lookups without actually
> > making these requests? For instance when -DDISABLE_IPV6 is set?
> >
> > This could easily be enforced via a switch in /etc/make.conf during make
> > buildworld/buildkernel, which would then result in a 100% ipv4 node.
>
> 	Bad Idea.  Applications lookup IPv6 addresses for reasons
> 	other than making connection.

Other than verification of ns records, or perhaps log analyzers, can you be
more specific?
A systems administrator may want to disable anything IPv6 related, simply
because he hasn't farmiliarized himself, with the security implications this
might have - which is a very valid reason IMHO.

> > Additionally this changes the mindset from 'enabling ipv6' to 'disabling
> > it',
> >
> > rather than giving the illusion, that only enabling ipv6 will do anything
> > ipv6 related.
> >
> > Applications that absolutely want to resolv Ipv6 for whatever reason, can
> > always implement their own resolver.
>
> 	What are you smoking.

Zware Van Nelle Export.

>  This is one of the most ridiculous
> 	ideas I've heard in a long while.

Let's keep the  flaming part to a minimum. I sent an email to DoubleClick
regarding the issue, and my support contact has forwarded the email to the
Networking guys and will follow up on it (and if he doesn't I will).
So essentially, we're working on the same end of the problem.

My _personal_ opinion, is that it's just plain dumb, that these 'loadbalancing
cowboys' can tie up system resources for such a lengthly period of time and a
systems' administrator can do nothing about it, but patch applications.

Imagine the implications, when your mailserver is presented with a bunch of
'MAIL FROM: foo@doubleclick.net'...

--
Best regards,

Melvyn Sopacua