Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 05:01:05 -0500
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <darius@dons.net.au>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>, chat@FreeBSD.org, "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Subject:   Re: PC Keyboard Scancodes

On Sun, Apr 16, 2000 at 11:34:38AM +0930, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On 16-Apr-00 Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, Mike Pritchard wrote:
> >> secure e-commerce     -32 50 -32 -78
> > WTF does a "Secure E-Commerce" key do??
>
> Sell more keyboards.

Heh.

I've changed the key so that it launches something else, but I think
by default it was setup to connect to some compaq/yahoo/netscape/whatever
"secure shopping" site.  E.g. it lauches your default browser and goes
to this "secure shopping" site.  The button is labeled with a checkmark.

As to someone asking about the keycodes, it looks like the
"sleep" button generates the same code as the microsoft keyboard,
so maybe that is somewhat "official".  So at least for that one,
we might want to see if Linux/the other *BSDs have definied anything
for that and stick with it.

Other than that, it would be nice if I could get the the only "extra"
buttons I really use (the CD/speaker buttons.  E.g. play/stop/pause cd
and vol+/-/mute) to do something under FreeBSD.

You can pretty much think of all of these extra buttons as fancy programable
function keys.  I think they advertise these extra buttons as "one touch
internet/e-mail/blah blah blah".  I think the newer version of these
keyboards have 6 or 8 of these special application keys (not including
the CD/sound stuff).

It is also the first keyboard I've ever broken in my life just due
to using it (we won't talk about the one I dropped down a couple of
flights of stairs).  One half of the space bar doesn't work because some
chunk of plastic broke off and if you hit the space bar on that side, it
doesn't work.  I've just been too lazy to pull it out and replace it with
one of the other 3 or 4 keyboards I have hooked up to other machines
or laying around, since it doesn't seem to affect me too much.
But some of my friends seem to hit the space bar with the opposite
thumb that I do and they have a heck of a time with it :-).  And I'm
not going to pay Compaq any money for a "real" replacement.

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@FreeBSD.org or mpp@mppsystems.com