Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:37:33 -0600
From:      Brian Henning <henninb@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ssh slowness

Greetings All,

I am running FreeBSD 4.10 stable. I connect to the internet via dialup
so I have an entries in my /etc/hosts for all my local machines and I
have an entry in my /etc/resolv.conf for my isp's dns server. when I
am not connected to my isp and I try to ssh to a local machine from a
local mahine it takes a "long" time to connect. I susspect the reason
is because it is trying to hit the dns server first from my isp. From
what I understand it should hit the hosts file first according to the
following setup. Can anyone exlain how I can fix my problem? or
explain why my current configuration is incorrect?

/etc/host.conf

# First try the /etc/hosts file
hosts
# Now try the nameserver next.