Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 1997 08:45:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Pechter <pechter@lakewood.com>
To:        syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au (Stephen McKay)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sysctl variables

> On Thursday, 2nd October 1997, "Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:
>
> >> So, please, no dual universes.
> >
> >OK, how about Domain/OS variant symlinks? :-)
>
> The thoughts of a colleague when I explained how variant symlinks exceeded
> even the OS/x dual symlink that we know so well:
>
>     "I'm sure they would bite you on the bum continuously,
>     but just think of the job security!"
>
> Hmm...  "The New FreeBSD, the Anti-Downsizing OS, now even harder to use!"
>
> Stephen.

really,
you could use both commands in the same pipe -- for example (this is a quick
hack from memory)

att ls | att cut -f1 -d"x" | bsd cat -n

since the AT&T subsystem didn't do cat -n you could get the best of both
worlds on the fly.  Made shell scripting interesting if you didn't
specify the universe in the command.

Bill
 Bill Pechter | 17 Meredith Drive Tinton Falls, NJ 07724 | 908-389-3592
 pechter@lakewood.com | Save computing history, give an old geek old hardware.
 This msg brought to you by the letters PDP and the number 11.