Date:      Sun, 16 May 1999 17:03:45 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        Adam Szilveszter <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
Cc:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie tip

On Sun, May 16, 1999 at 10:01:21PM +0200, Adam Szilveszter wrote:
> > Ah! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Koszonom szepen!!!
>
> :-))))) It's so nice when it turns out that so many people speak some
> Hungarian!!!!  You're welcome!

Hehe. I was born and raised in Bratislava, a city in which many people speak
(or at least used to) three languages: Slovak, Hungarian, and German, but none
of them properly. :-) You just can't live there without picking up a few
phrases.

Throughout the years (and I am 49), I have also made it a point to learn how to
thank people in as many languages as I could. If someone helps me, the least I
can do is show my appreciation and respect.

On the other side of the coin, I have learned never to assume that people
around me do not understand what I say, no matter how foreign a language I
may use -- I have seen too many people being very embarassed when they made
that mistake. :-)

> Well, because each of these is installed under /usr/local and there are
> high chances that these are not on the root filesystem. Therefore, if
> something goes wrong and you have to boot single-user with only root
> mounted (like me when I messed up my /etc/fstab) then you will not have
> tcsh around.

I see. That makes sense. Nevertheless, on my system /usr/local is on the root
filesystem. So, I am going to take the chance. :-)

> Another method to try and get you out of the habit of
> logging in as root when it is not needed:-))))))

Hehe. I have found I need it all the time. Whenever I log on as a regular
user, I feel like a prisoner. So, by now, the only time I do that is when
I reply to email. Otherwise, everyone would think my name was Charlie!

> After all, I'm also quite new to this ( have had FreeBSD for about 3
> months) and besides not even specializing in computers or informatics. So
> I have to be quiet and believe what the pros say until I'm cute enough to
> figure out on my own:-)))))))))))

You seem to be doing well for someone who has been at it for only 3 months!

As for being cute, I don't think your FreeBSD experience is going to change
that. You may want to look up that word in the dictionary again. :-) Although,
technically, it also means clever (which is what you probably meant), that
is not its typical use. :-))))

But don't feel bad. You cannot imagine the things I said when I first came to
America! What a language English is... Years ago, I was told I had the special
ability to pick words with double meaning. By now I know my ability had nothing
to do with it: In English every word has at least a double meaning. :-)

Cheers,

Adam