Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 2014 07:44:41 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: After Update today: No origin available for eigen~pkg-renamed~3FCF-3.2.2

--csuNaFbHMgaJr3NDLTqTnAWmsrJJHc9Bf

On 09/12/2014 20:27, O. Hartmann wrote:
> On several CURRENT and 10.1-boxes with today's ports tree update, I run=
 into a very
> strange problem with a non-responsive, non-updatable portstree, with er=
rors like
>=20
>=20
> =3D=3D=3D>>> Gathering distinfo list for installed ports
>=20
> =3D=3D=3D>>> Starting check of installed ports for available updates
>         =3D=3D=3D>>> No origin available for eigen~pkg-renamed~3FCF-3.2=
=2E2
>=20
>=20
> =3D=3D=3D>>> Cannot continue
> =3D=3D=3D>>> Aborting update
>=20
>=20
> This "-renamed~3FCF-3.2.2" extension occurs on many ports and in UPDATI=
NG, there is no
> mark that should give me a hint ...
>=20

This happens when you have multiple ports installed with the same port
name.  As the port name has now become the unique key in the package
system, packages with duplicate names have had an arbitrary string
appended to their names to distinguish them and allow pkg to upgrade
it's database schema.

This duplicated names problem shouldn't occur in an up-to-date ports
tree, and we expected it to be a very rare occurrence in general.  I
don't know why portmaster is complaining about not being able to find
the package origin -- that's still stored in the package database and
won't have been modified at all.  You should be able to see them by:

   pkg info -ox '~pkg-renamed~'

To fix the problem, probably the best approach would be to judiciously
delete and reinstall those renamed packages you want to keep, and delete
the rest.  Ideally you should find that those ports now have distinct nam=
es.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20