Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2001 15:35:21 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Jan Conrad <conrad@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>
To:        <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/27202: mail/pine sucks rocks when saving over NFS mounts

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001 dougb@FreeBSD.org wrote:

> Synopsis: mail/pine sucks rocks when saving over NFS mounts
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
> State-Changed-By: dougb
> State-Changed-When: Sat Jun 9 03:04:29 PDT 2001
> State-Changed-Why:
>
> Have you considered adjusting your nfs settings instead? Pine is simply
> doing an open() here, so it'll use whatever buffer the system
> passes back. First try tcp mounts, then take a look at the -r and
> -w options.

Unfortunately it's not that easy.

As you expect, it's not a problem of pine, but a problem of the NFSv3
implementation of freebsd (I realized that after sending the PR). In
detail, the system returns a buffer size of 512 bytes on NFSv3 mounts.
However, up to now nobody did something about it (= merged my kernel
patch), so the pine and c-client patches are the only way to do it up to
now.

See my PR kern/27232 and
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=741067+0+archive/2001/freebsd-stable/20010513.freebsd-stable

I will try again to convince people that my patch to the NFS code is a
decent thing, especially since it also solves the slow first time startup
problem of netscape (I patched our system here and it just works great!).

Of course, I am aware that my patch for pine and c-client is only quick
and dirty :-)

But, anyway, it definitely solves the problem for pine!
And since many people will run on older versions of FreeBSD (and the
problem persists since 2.2.7, at least) it might be worth it.

-Jan

--
Physikalisches Institut der Universitaet Bonn
Nussallee 12