Date:      17 Jun 1998 15:19:35 +0200
From:      smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
To:        Matthew Hagerty <wpub1@net-link.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Resource config problem

Matthew Hagerty <wpub1@net-link.net> writes:
> We just switched from BSDI to FreeBSD and now we can only serve maybe 70
> connections max.  Also, none of our cgi programs can run.  There is an
> error in the apache error_log that says could not spawn child process:
> resources unavailable.

"resource unavailable" when forking usually means your process table
is full. You need to raise the value of maxusers in your kernel
configuration file. The limit on the number of concurrent processes is
(20 + 16 * maxusers); on a Web server, I'd set it to at least 32.

On a side note, you might also want to raise the number of MBUF
clusters (NMBCLUSTERS). The default is (512 + 16 * maxusers).

--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com