Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2002 03:52:55 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
To:        "Igor B. Bykhalo" <goshik@binep.ac.ru>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade + ruby-uri dependency ?

Hi Igor,

> > after a cvsup of my ports hierarchy I just did a
> >
> > pkg_add -r portupgrade
>
> Mmmm... Why?
> I mean, you have _fresh_ Ports tree, so why you are installing
> package (probably built some days or even weeks ago)?
>
> Just cd ports/sysutils/portupgrade and make install to get
> latest version of the port.
> But if you prefer packages: maybe you just don't need ports hierarchy...:)
> Try to find newer package.

Until now there is none.
I know how to use the ports system, but my fast system lies dead until
my new motherboard arrives. Compiling on this old Pentium 90 exceeds its
normal uptimes :-)

BTW, the portupgrade tool needs the fresh ports collection. But for its
-PP option the relevant packages should be available, which they are
not!

Even when compiling, the problem is there. Imagine I would have built
portugrade at the time, when the nowadays package was built. All my
ports dependencies are fine. Today I only cvsup my ports tree and will
get the above mentioned error then. There must be a way to fix this
without recompiling portupgrade and ruby. At least it's my decision,
when to update software, not the ports system's one!

> Well... In this particular case of portupgrade you'll need
> 1.2 MBytes of distfiles (ruby, ruby-whatever, etc.) so i doubt
> it'll take much time and space to build portupgrade.

O.k. maybe I'll give it a try over weekend, when I'm not at home.

Ciao
Siegbert