Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 2003 23:59:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      iLLfated <l8tr3000@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   port install to alternate jail path

Greetings,

  Lo all i've been trying to use:

make install --prefix="/my/path"

to install a port to an alternate path. I also tried
export PREFIX="/my/path" and prefix=/my/path" one of
them seems to work for some packages but not all. I've
been trying to glean info from the port creation
documentation tho i'm having a hard time figuring it
out. I've been examining bsd.port.mk. My attempts seem
to work for smaller packages tho I tried it with perl5
for example and it doesn't seem to be honoring the new
path and/or is complaining about it already being
installed (which it is tho not in in the new path).
Anyone know how I can accomplish my task of installing
a port to an alternate (in this case /my/jail) path?
Is there documentation for this and if so which
section of the handbook or url on the freebsd site.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

              Steve (l8tr3000@yahoo.com)