Date:      Thu, 25 Aug 2011 20:52:41 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Vadim Goncharov <vadim_nuclight@mail.ru>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve

Hi Adrian Chadd!

Glad to hear such words from @FreeBSD.org! Thanks!

> The project as a whole may not necessarily need a "project dictator"
> per se.  It doesn't need to figure out who FreeBSD needs to be
> marketed to.

Here an interesting question arise, in the philosophy/VCS field. We see
that Linux/git adopted model where "dictator" has, say, 17 lieutenant
for key subsystems, and pulls changes from them, each of them have, say,
17 own subordinates from whose he pulls, and so on. Instead of that 17^2
people FreeBSD has the same 289 men directly commiting to repository.
It is repository here which acts as a "dictator" from technical side,
and that is definetely better (e.g. no "kill -SIGBUS Linus" factors).
The difference is, those 289 key people in Linux *can* pull changes from
lower tiers, but FreeBSD people - can't (of course not at all, but it is
significantly harder to contribute here). It is a plain model.

So then, as they are using DVCS in a semi-centralized way, there are
mostly technical benefits for them, which we don't have with a purely
centralized old-fashioned SVN. I still think that it may be worth
creating a combined "centralized DVCS" for FreeBSD needs, mirroring
FreeBSD workflow and free from git flaws (listed in wiki, such as need
to split to many repos etc.). Given how git initially was created, this
is not so hard as it could sound. The problem here is, that I don't know
what typical workflow a FreeBSD commiter has, and what exact needs are.
So even as idea it is still blurred...

--
WBR, Vadim Goncharov. ICQ#166852181       mailto:vadim_nuclight@mail.ru
[Anti-Greenpeace][Sober FreeBSD zealot][http://nuclight.livejournal.com]