Date:      Fri, 5 Jul 2002 19:51:32 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Lee <lee@unassemble.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: File System Monitoring

Lee wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> Sorry I should have been more clear.
>
> Although maybe this defeats the point in using FreeBSD I am not
> using the Ports collection unless absolutley necessary.  Mostly I am
> installing from source.

OK. You should know that the ports are much nicer than installing from
source... But since you are a self-proclaimed newbie, I will guess
that you're installing from source to learn about the make process,
which is a good exercise.

You can use the same advice that another poster gave you; use
script(1) as described before you run the "make install" following the
source build. In most cases, FreeBSD ports are little more than
automated fetch/build of the source.

> To put this into perspective, something I am currently doing is
> testing out various mail servers.
>
> At the moment I am trying out Postfix, but in the future I will
> probably try qmail, exim and even sendmail for a little nostalga (or
> a headache trying to figure out how the full-formed config files
> work).

> The thing is all these programs put files everywhere. Want I want
> to be able to do is install the program, try it out for a bit and
> then remove it so I can try something else.

If you just want to experiment with a whole bunch of programs, I
*will* highly recommend the ports. If you don't like it, you can just
pkg_delete it by name, and it will go through the port's pkg-plist and
clean up everything but the configuration files (which you may have
modified) for you.

> Cheers
>
> Lee

  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>

  901 1st Avenue North - Saskatoon, SK - S7K 1Y4

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon