Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 2002 10:58:58 +0100
From:      Robert bobb Crosbie <bobb+freebsd-isp@redbrick.dcu.ie>
To:        Nick Kraal <nick@arc.net.my>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: replacing sendmail

Nick Kraal hath declared on Tuesday the 04 day of June 2002  :-:
> Thank you all for your reply and hints. From what I notice Sendmail is
> installed by default which includes some configuration parameters and
> FreeBSD scripts. I suspect it would be slightly more complicated than just
> installing qmail/postfix and modifying some rc scripts. I have seen some
> how-to documents to completely remove the default Sendmail installation but
> some are too complicated and others not complete.
>
> Ideas? Thanks in advance.

They handy thing about FreeBSD and MTA's is mailwrapper(8)
see /etc/mail/mailer.conf things like /usr/sbin/sendmail
and /usr/bin/mailq are just symlinks to /usr/sbin/mailwrapper.
You can change what these links actually run by editing mailer.conf.

I'm not sure about qmail, but its simple to replace sendmail with
postfix, just `` cd /usr/ports/mail/postfix && make install && make replace ''.

Although with recent changes with sendmail you now have to create a startup
script for postfix, say, /etc/rc.posftix which contains the line
`` /usr/local/sbin/postfix start '' (you could get fancy with a case and
start/stop/restart if you like).

Then add the follwing to /etc/rc.conf

mta_start_script="/etc/rc.postfix"
sendmail_enable="YES"
sendmail_flags="-bd"
sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"

And you should be away, don't forget to edit /usr/local/etc/postfix/main.cf :)

HTH,

- bobb