Date:      Wed, 03 Mar 1999 20:07:17 -0800
From:      Scott MacFiggen <smurf@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        abial@nask.pl
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and ThinkPad

>The symptoms are as follows: sometime during the probing, or even later if
>I'm active enough pressing keys (see below) the machine hangs, and never
>recovers. I suspect it's somehow related to energy saving features -
>perhaps it just decides to go to sleep? Anyway, after this I'm totally
>unable to reboot it. The funny thing is that ThinkPad doesn't have the
>reset button, so I have to pull out the battery in order to reboot it...
>:-)
>
>Perhaps someone already went through this, and can give me a hint... TIA.
>Oh, BTW - the BIOS setup on this really sucks, it's a winblows oriented
>dummy icons which really don't give you any control over the details.

Thinkpads (600's and 560's anyway) have problems like this..
Try this, rebuild the kernel and set the MAXMEM option
to TotalMem-4M. ie:

If you have 128 meg in your laptop, set it to

options	"MAXMEM=(128*1024-4096)"
or something like that..

	-Scott

PS: There are a bunch of websites that talk about
freebsd and Thinkpads...