Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 1995 01:12:57 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        rcs@io.org (Radiotron Computer Solutions)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SB16/Mitsumi CD-ROM Install Problems

Radiotron Computer Solutions stands accused of saying:
>         I have a feeling this is due to the fact that the CD-ROM drive runs
> off of my SoundBlaster 16, and since the SB16 is not being initialized
> during the installation, thus the drive is not being found.  When I boot up
> under DOS and run the install program, it recognizes the drive, but as soon

Firstly, is this a _genuine_ soundblaster, or a clone?  If the latter,
you won't be able to install from the CD using 2.0.5-RELEASE.  You may be
able to install if you grab the boot disk from a later -SNAP release, or
someone else may be able to help you out with a version with a more recent
driver. (Soundblaster and clone boards have different ideas about where
to put the CD interface).

If you have a _genuine_ Soundblaster, what address is it configured for?
The CD is handled by the matcd driver, which searches the usual
addresses looking for the CDROM.

>         Is there any way around this problem, such as a driver I can load
> from a boot disk to get the system to install from CD??????

If you just have the CD at a weird address, you can alter the driver's
configuration at boot time.  If you have a non-compatible CD interface,
you will need a new boot image.

>       Jeff

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[