Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 11:07:45 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com
Cc:        marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MSDOS FS and flock?

> What version of the OS are you running?  I could provide a
> set of patches against 4.1, if you absolutely needed it,

Thanks for your generous offer. This would be far too much
hassle, I think.

The background is that I have three OS partions (FreeBSD-CURRENT,
Linux Mandrake and Win2k) and one partion for data sharing among
these OSes on this disk.
As least common denominator I use FAT32 for the exchange partion,
where I put my incoming mail on.

Emacs offers movemail compilation with a different locking
mechanism - lock files.
As the mail is put on the msdos partition by procmail only
perhaps this is save enough - I will try that.

My hesitation comes from the Emacs FAQ that says that it is a
bad idea to use a different locking strategy than the OS
typically does.

> but I doubt it would be carried forward in FreeBSD -HEAD,
> which I have to say I'm not going to touch right now.

Uhm, different topic.

When it became apparent to me that movemail was not working as
expected I thought "hm, let's have a look how msdos fs is bolted
into the kernel" and I strolled around various places in /usr/src.
After a while I gave up, I simply had no idea how all those
fs work together.
Worse is that I see no way to aquire such knowledge then to
put a lot of time into reading driver code and experimenting.
I suppose that the book from McKusick/Leffler/.. is too old
to get a basic grip on what's going on - or?

It would be interesting to start a kernel documentation
project, but I fear I lack experience, havenot enough time and
that it will be hopelessly outdated.

Thanks for the time you spent on this!
Marc