Date:      Tue, 15 Jul 1997 14:57:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jhay@mikom.csir.co.za (John Hay)
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPX routing?

> > This is done by keeping the framing type in an IPX ARP equivalent.
>
> And how do you handle RIP and SAP broadcasts? There may be more than
> one router on that segment and they may not use the same framing, eg.
> two other routers, one using 802.3 and the other Ethernet_II.

As of Netware 3.1, an "internal wire segment" was defined for
all routers.

Effectively, prior to this, the architecture was:

	server
	|   |
	|   |
      net   net
  segment   segment
	1   2

After this change, the architecture is:

              server

     --+----+---+--Internal segment
       |    |
       |    |
      net   net
  segment   segment
	1   2

Effectively, then, broadcasts are handled as multicasts, and the
hop count incremented accordingly (the server broadcasts to the
internal segment, and it is "hopped" to each external segment
attacked to the machine).

A NetWare router, by default, will forward broadcasts up to 16 hops,
after which time packets will be dropped.

A correct IPX implementation, then, has an "internal network number"
which identifies the server, and an "external network number" for
each card which identifies the wire segment to which the card has
been attached.  The default convention for coexistance of IPX and
IP networks is to assign the four tuple IP address of the card, minus
the netmask, to each card, and the IP address of the machine to the
internal segment (any IP address unique to the machine will do).

If your IPX stack on your router does not match this description,
your implementation is broken.

The relevant documents are downloadable from the Utah State University
archives (one of the usu.edu servers; I forget which one exactly...
use Yahoo or Altavista to find out which one).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.