Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 1995 14:41:00 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        davidg@Root.COM, nate@elite.net
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: statustatus of syslog patch?

>>What is the status of the patch for the buffer overflow in syslog()?
>>I checked FreeBSD-current as of 10/19 and the sccs id still says:
>>"@(#)syslog.c    8.4 (Berkeley) 3/18/94"

>   It'll say that until the end of time...that's Berkeley's ID. Our ID's are
>in the form of "$Id: <blah blah> $"...we use cvs/RCS (not SCCS). Not all of
>our source files have $Id$'s in them; we haven't gotten around to adding them
>yet.

syslog.c is one of the ones that doesn't have $Id$.

I dislike adding $Id$ to files that we haven't otherwise changed, and
otherwise changes like the whitespace changes that touched hundreds of
files.  Such changes make it hard to see what has really changed.

>>Does anyone plan to integrate it into the source tree?  If not, can someone
>>please send me a copy of syslog.c that safely and intelligently uses
>>snprintf to limit buffer overflows?

>   It has already been integrated.

It actually uses fwopen(), not the primitive snprintf().

Bruce