Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 09:31:21 +0000
From:      "Duncan Barclay" <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Exabyte 8200

> On Friday, 2nd October 1998, "Duncan Barclay" wrote:
>
> >> As I recal, the only real problem with a Cybernetic tape drive is
> >> the compression is vendor unique.
> >
> >Doesn't matter as it's for home use. And I only need to back up a
> >gigabyte or so.
>
> I would dispute this.  Your cheap custom tape drive is likely to
> expire before your disk, and then you are left with a pile of
> unreadable backups. Write uncompressed tapes, and use software
> compression if you want to save time/space.  Then you at least have
> the option of recovering your files at work if, say, a burglar takes
> a liking to your backup device.

Sorry, I think I meant to say:
 	Doesn't matter as it's for home use. And I only need to back up a
	gigabyte or so, and I probably won't bother with compression.

Compression on backup tapes always seems like a bad idea to me in
case something goes wrong, i.e. corruption of the dictionary etc.

> Stephen.
>
> PS Every time I post about Exabytes I ask if anyone knows how to
> query one about its error rate (or other head cleaning related
> notifications).  No, I can't find this on the Exabyte site, and yes,
> I've looked.  I would be happy to be proven an idiot by being given
> an URL showing actual information.

I didn't see anything related to this either. I think I may have seen
it on a DejaNews searches I did, and I may have saved it a home. I
will dig it up tonight if I can.

Duncan