Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 20:40:27 +1000
From:      aunty <aunty@comcen.com.au>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, Jay Nelson <noslenj@swbell.net>, Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Guns and impotence [was: dangers to intelligent people]

On Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 09:47:25PM +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 01:14:39PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:

> > 	As an example, just look at what is happening in Australia. They
> > systematically disarmed their citizens, first going after "assault"
> > weapons, then handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc. All with perfectly
> > reasonable sounding arguments about how much safer they would be. Now
> > that the citizens can't fight back they are slowly but surely turning it
> > into a police state. Draconinan censorship of the internet, and other
> > extremely distasteful laws are being passed willy-nilly.

The two are unrelated, or not in the sense you imply. Our current
government is so despised that for the first time in our history most
Aussies would love to get stuck into the PM, but the queue to do so
would be so long that only a gun could reach the distance. Few of us
have guns, but hey, why take chances. A while ago a bloke went crazy
with a gun when he thought he saw a crowd of prime ministers, and the
laws changed pretty quick after that, especially when the gun owners
realised they could get the governmenet to buy back their old guns for
more than they were worth.

> That's an extremely cynical view. I don't know about Australian gun
> law, perhaps someone from Oz would like to comment.

Hardly anyone has guns in our cities. They're not game to. You see,
it's a cultural thing. The only city people I've known to have guns
have been pissy little cowardly men who need a gun to make them feel
potent. If you're a city bloke and you feel you need a gun, there must
be something wrong with you. If you're a sheila you never need a gun.
Just find the sissy who's dependent on a gun and he's a push-over, the
paranoid little runt, sit on his hands and you can poke out his eyes
with a finger. Then any normal man who can get up without an extra tool
will be able to protect you when the bloke with the prosthetic device
calls Mama to chase you away. But pathetic little gun weenies are real
hard to find in the big towns.

I guess in the USA it's the good guys who carry the guns.
It wouldn't be fair to compare the two then.

:,)

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-