Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 2014 01:38:53 +0400 (MSK)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSd.org
Subject:   Snapshots and what not to snapshot

Colleagues,

reading some last threads I'm starting to think again about the problem I
thought about for many times, but invent nothing but crude hacks:

it would be great to have a mechanism to exclude some subtrees from recursive
snapshots; the model is like:

you have some tree of ZFS file systems, like

pool/path/r
pool/path/jails
pool/path/jails/j1
pool/path/jails/j1/obj
..
pool/path/persistent
pool/path/obj

or something alike.

To have the ability to make consistent backup, one would use ``zfs snapshot
-r''

but -- before using zfs send or other replication machanisms it would be
feasible to remove snapshots of not-so-important filesystems.

For now, the kludge I could see is to set on these some artificial property
like org.freebsd:nodump or similar, then traverse zfs list with this attribute
and delete non-needed snapshots.

Maybe somewhere there are more elegant solutions?

Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck@FreeBSD.org ]
*** Dmitry Morozovsky --- D.Marck --- Wild Woozle --- marck@rinet.ru ***