Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 2002 18:34:58 -0400
From:      Yaoping Ruan <yruan@cs.princeton.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD4.5 kernel hang up & cputime limit exceeded

Greeting:
Recently I did an http server performance test on FreeBSD4.5 and met
kernel hang problem. The simultaneous connections I had were not too
high, at most 100 connections. But some requests do need disk activity
and transfer large files (500 - 900K). It happened especially doing
large file requests even when no disk access was involved.
Here's more information about hardware:
Intel Giganet ethernet network adaptor
Intel SBT2 SMP motherboard (but I didn't use FreeBSD for SMP)
Pentium III Xeon Processor 1 GHz
Promise Ultra DMA 66 disk controller (for IDE disk)
1 GB memory

And I configured the /boot/loader.conf with:
kern.ipc.maxsockets="131072"
kern.ipc.nmbclusters="40960"
kern.ipc.nmbufs="81920"
net.inet.tcp.tcbhashsize="32768"
net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack="0"

A few days ago, I changed
numbclusters="20480"
nmbufs="40960"

this time, kernel hang didn't happen but I was told "cputime limit
exceeded" after couple of hours' test. While "limit" command shows
CPUtime is unlimited. Confused.

And advise? Thanks

- Randy