Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 16:19:45 +1000
From:      Joe <joe.shevland@horizonti.com>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SSL, URLs and Servlets

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this one.

I'm trying to connect back to a servlet on the web server from an
applet, using the HTTPS protocol. All I want is to have the servlet
return information to my applet (not a web page or anything), basically
like a response code.

At the moment I construct a URL like: new URL( "https",
"www.myhost.com", "/servlets/foo" ) and attempt to get its InputStream.

However, this causes problems (a malformed URL exception i.e. no content
handler I guess). Does anyone know of any easier way to do this? or an
appropriate content handler I guess? I'm thinking this could be done
with the HttpSession object somehow.

Cheers, Joe.