Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 17:11:50 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Doug <doug@inJapan.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FAQ (was: boot.flp too big)

On Monday, 25 January 1999 at 15:38:08 +0900, Doug wrote:
> I am trying to make a boot image floppy. I downloaded both boot.flp and
> fdimage.exe, but when I try to make the image, fdimage reports that
> "boot.flp" is too big.
>
> Running in debug mode, it specifically says that boot.flp is 1,479,365
> bytes and the floppy is 1,474,560 bytes.
>
> I tried reformatting the floppy, but got the same results.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions about how I can proceed?

Read the FAQ first?  From http://www.lemis.com/FAQ/FAQ26.html#26

  2.2. Help! The boot floppy image will not fit on a single floppy!

       A 3.5 inch (1.44MB) floppy can accomodate 1474560 bytes of
       data. The boot image is exactly 1474560 bytes in size.

   Common mistakes when preparing the boot floppy are:

     Not downloading the floppy image in binary mode when using FTP.

     Some FTP clients default their transfer mode to ascii and attempt
     to change any end-of-line characters received to match the
     conventions used by the client's system. This will almost
     invariably corrupt the boot image. Check the size of the
     downloaded boot image: if it is not exactly that on the server,
     then the download process is suspect.

     To workaround: type binary at the FTP command prompt after
     getting connected to the server and before starting the download
     of the image.

     Using the DOS copy command (or equivalent GUI tool) to transfer
     the boot image to floppy.

     Programs like copy will not work as the boot image has been
     created to be booted into directly. The image has the complete
     content of the floppy, track for track, and is not meant to be
     placed on the floppy as a regular file. You have to transfer it
     to the floppy ``raw'', using the low-level tools (e.g.  fdimage
     or rawrite) described in the installation guide to FreeBSD.

Greg