Date:      Sat, 21 Jan 2017 12:11:51 -0700
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to measure microsd wear

On Sat, 2017-01-21 at 12:12 -0600, Karl Denninger wrote:
> On 1/21/2017 11:58, Ian Lepore wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 2017-01-21 at 15:46 +0000, tech-lists wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello list,
> > >
> > > How would one measure microsd wear? Is there a utility like
> > > smartmontools (I think this only works for regular hard drives)
> > > but
> > > for
> > > microsd?
> > >
> > > many thanks,
> > There is basically no way to see what's going on in the flash array
> > of
> > an sdcard.  The microcontrollers in modern sd cards have complex
> > wear-
> > leveling algorithms which are completely transparent to the outside
> > world.
> This is true.
> >
> > On the plus side, most of what you see in the way of warnings and
> > scare
> > stories about wearing out sd cards is pure BS.  I've got systems
> > here
> > that have been running for literally years on the same sdcard, and
> > that
> > card is being used for swap, and routine data storage like syslog
> > (on
> > an embedded system that logs status and progress pretty much
> > continuously 24x7 for years).  I've seen a few sd cards die over
> > the
> > years, but I've never been able to say it was because of how much
> > was
> > written to them (indeed, the dead ones I've got weren't in service
> > long
> > before they died).
> >
> This, however, is total nonsense.

Well, no, it's not total nonsense, it's my 10 years of experience
professionally working with sd cards in embedded systems sold as
commericial products, including extensive testing of the card trying to
*induce* failure.

Next time think twice before implying I'm either a fool or a liar.

I'm not even going to read the rest of the crap you wrote, since it's
completely invalidated by the stupid thing you said above.

-- Ian