Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 1996 10:33:41 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi>
Cc:        Eric Chet <ec0@s1.GANet.NET>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-960323-SNAP: ipfw problem

> This should have been a new config option or the name should have been
> changed.  I have had ipfw in kernel on all my routers so that when I need
> to, I could block out links which were flooding or otherwise broken (named
> loops, for example).  This has been a very useful feature in the past.  I
> was very lucky to try this out on a machine which was sitting in our
> computer room, not one of our remote machines.

You should subscribe to the -current mailing list, where this was all
discussed.  If you don't subscribe or don't read the messages that
come across here frequently when a change like this is planned, then
frankly you should either NOT be running -current or you should fully
expect this kind of problem to become a regular part of your life.
You're running the development sources, what do you expect?  We make
-stable available for those who don't like to be on the fast-track, so
one can hardly say that you don't hae a choice.

> This is similar, though much more dangerous change compared to removing
> GATEWAY option completely.  Since GATEWAY change I have at least 4 times

This is silly.  We have hooks in sysconfig for this and have had since
*before* the GATEWAY option was removed.  Again, there was plenty of
warning and if you make it a practice of leaping off without looking
first then you can hardly blame us for your broken nose.  "Doctor,
Doctor, it hurts when I shoot myself in the foot!"  :-)

> This kind of changes should always be done carefully.  Quick change without
> thinking may mean hundreds of people falling in a nasty trap.

Actually, the only one falling in appears to be one Finnish guy who
doesn't read very carefully.. :-)

P.S. When are you going to remove all those redundant lines from your
kernel configuration, like David keeps asking you to?  I'd be far more
sympathetic to your plight if you didn't have a long history of
sticking your hands in the fire and then running to us for first aid,
screaming about how we failed to handcuff your hands behind your back
to prevent such an action on your part!

						Jordan