Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2001 14:48:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Peter Ulrich (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        "Barbara G. Devney" <bgdevney@adelphia.net>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: install problems

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Barbara G. Devney wrote:

> Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 20:57:20 -0400
> From: Barbara G. Devney <bgdevney@adelphia.net>
> To: questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: install problems
>
> When I go through the CD installation I get to the point where it asks to
> choose the support type. I want to set the system up for a user with
> X-windows. From what I have read that should take me to a second window
> where I load certain features. I never get to that second window but
> immediately jump to the formatting of the hard drive.
When  things do not work at once, try to take smaller steps.
That will help you to analyse the problem.
So in this case try "minimal installation" first to see if
there is something fundamental going wrong.
Once you have booted into your minimal system you may recall
the installation-menu by typing
# /stand/sysinstall

> When I try to boot up it says that no kernel can be found. What am I doing
> wrong.

Uli.