Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 20:35:31 -0600
From:      "Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How to upgrade to 4.0 with vinum [was: Re: 3.4-4.0 and vinum]

Yup, absolutely correct Greg.

For everyone else, here's the steps that you need to take to upgrade to
4.0 if your /usr is on a vinum volume. (If you're running vinum but /usr
is on a 'normal' device then I think you'll be ok).

1) Follow the instructions in /usr/src/UPDATING up to the reboot (don't
reboot yet), but make sure that you keep an backup copy of your 3.4
kernel
2) You need to install the new vinum kernel module and userland, but
before you do this, I very, very strongly recommend you back up the old
files. If something goes wrong and you have to go back, you're in big
trouble without them. To back them up:
cp /modules/vinum.ko /modules/vinum.3; cp /sbin/vinum /sbin/vinum.3
3) Install the new vinum software. cd /usr/src/sys/modules/vinum && make
install && cd /usr/src/sbin/vinum && make install
4) You should now be able to reboot to single-user and continue on. I
don't know if this is normal for a non-vinum machine or not, but my
machine doesn't do any mounting of devices when booted to single-user.
In order to get your filesystems up and running, do this as soon as you
have a shell:
vinum start
fsck -p
mount -a

You should now be good to go.

Greg/anyone else: I did this over 3 days and finished very late last
night, so if I screwed anything up here, please correct me.

Good luck! :)

jim@nasby.net                                               /___\