Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 2010 18:49:52 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@acm.org>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple serial consoles via null modem cable

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v

On 2010-Jan-12 08:08:16 -0800, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com> w=
rote:
[serial to TCP/IP adapters]
>As far as present-day devices go, the ones I can recommend are the
=2E..

>You can also consider looking for used hardware -- either Xyplex devices

DECservers are good for this sort of thing as well.  AFAIK we're still
using them at work.

I've also used the Digiboard Xem adapters quite successfully on both
FreeBSD and Solaris.  Unfortunately, they are a bit tempramental on
FreeBSD: They can't share interrupts (you get interrupt storms if
you attempt it), digi(4) is limited to 16 ports (no expansion boxes)
and digi(4) hasn't been adapted to the new TTY subsystem and so won't
work on FreeBSD 8.

>There's two ports which can make interfacing/using these devices, or a
>multiport serial card, much easier -- Conserver[3].  I work with the guy
>who wrote it, so I'm biased.  :-)

I can also thoroughly recommend conserver-com - as well as handling
local serial devices, it can talk to serial-over-TCP ports, handles
logging, distributed master/client hosts and allowed multiple people
to connect to a single serial port (though only one person has write
access at a time).  Note that it's embedded in the LOM processor on
(eg) Sun v20Z.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v