Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 16:30:27 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        "Kim C. Callis" <kcallis@c2associates.net>
Cc:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NICs & modems

> That is basically it right there... So I am at a loss because there is
> nothing conflicting with irq 10 (as far as I can see), yet the message comes
> back unable to allocate.

     No, the pcic device (PCMCIA controller) uses an IRQ (IRQ 10, in
your case), but the Wavelan card *ALSO* needs an IRQ.  Your problem is
that the Wavelan driver (wi0) cannot allocate an IRQ for the card.

     Looking at your list, you *might* be able to use IRQ 5 (you should
really post a complete dmesg), but locating a free IRQ can be difficult,
due to quirks in various laptops (sorry, I'm not familiar with
Compaqs).

     Also, you might try putting the pcic device in polling mode (not
using IRQ 10), and then using IRQ 10 for the card.  However, I believe
this is not always possible, due to laptop quirks (I seem to recall that
some laptops insist on always using IRQ 10 for the PCMCIA controller).

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com