Date:      Sun, 15 Jun 1997 22:39:48 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /var/run/natd.pid request

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Brian Somers wrote:
> > >  Everything then talks fine both on the firewall machine, and from my work
> > >  machine across the room, for 0-3 minutes.  After that, the logging on the
> > >  console slows to a halt, and if I try to:
	<some stuff snipped>
> A "hack" has fixed the panic in 2.2 and -current for the moment.  I'm
> looking at figuring out a proper fix now.

I'm suffering from the same problem here, (although we get everything to
route fine for usually up to about 30 seconds until it freezes up.) but we
don't actually get panics, just a complete freeze. However, we're in dire
need of a working version of natd here. (We're using natd 1.4, installed
as one of the standard 2.2.2-RELEASE ports, with bisdn-0.97 and a Teles
S0/16.3)

> For the moment, you could try using ppp rather than pppd/natd.  Wait
> 'till natd is part of /usr/src :)

(It's not going to work with isdn =( )

Anyway I need this for Monday morning (2 hours time =)), I'll try to
download a newer version and pop it on, but if you can send me or point me
in the right direction for the patch/hack to stop natd freezing up then I
would be a happy bunny :)

(Also, I if you're using isdn to connect an internal network to
demon.co.uk using this setup then if there is any chance of a copy of your
configuration files then please (grovel) can I have a copy - to be sure
bisdn is actually set up fine as well - although I just typed this mail
message over it...)

Many Thanks,

Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
T:(home) +44 (0) 976 241 342  / (work) +44 (0) 117 973 0597