Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2013 01:57:48 -0700
From:      perryh@pluto.rain.com (Perry Hutchison)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   line lengths in /etc/hosts

Is there a limit on line length in FreeBSD's /etc/hosts?

I'm not finding any mention of such a limit in hosts(5), but
characters beyond the first 660 or so seem to be ignored.

To answer the inevitable followup "why would anyone need such
a long line in /etc/hosts":

With this line in /etc/nsswitch.conf

  hosts: files dns

I can easily suppress access to unwanted web sites by adding
names to the localhost line in /etc/hosts, like this:

  127.0.0.1	localhost localhost.my.domain bad1.com bad2.com ...

My version of that line has gotten rather long :)