Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2007 10:39:16 +0100
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@freebsd.org>
To:        clement@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-apache@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   bsd.apache.mk strangeness

Hi,

I'd like you to pay a little bit of attention to the following thread:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?id=474B2313.2090409%40verysmall.org&db=mid

It looks like if a user puts "USE_APACHE" into /etc/make.conf, then during
portupgrade of perl, everything bombs out because bsd.apache.mk tries to
invoke apxs (which is present) while perl is not installed.  Since apxs is a
perl script, the results are not pretty.

While my understanding is that the user is very wrong putting USE_APACHE
into /etc/make.conf (correct me if I am wrong here), I would say that we
still should not fail with an incomprehensible error message.  I am not sure
what the exact fix should be.

Maybe try and execute perl first, and bail out with something meaningful
("you either have USE_APACHE in /etc/make.conf or your environment or you
are trying to build an apache-related port without perl installed")?

What do you think?

Cheers,
\Anton.
--
We're going for 'working' here. 'clean' is for people with skills...
-- Flemming Jacobsen