Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:11:50 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD emulation for linux

Hi,

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Bill Fumerola wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Brett Glass wrote:

> > Windows 3.1 was supported for a lot more than 6 months after Windows
> > 95 came out. The 2.2.8 ports are old and moldy and in some cases
> > will let the skript kiddies in.

> (b) You can submit PRs, that will provide this functionality. If these
>     patches don't sacrifice the 3.x/4.0 branches, I will commit as many as
>     I can.

He _could_ but he won't.  I challenged him to point to one port that had a
hole in it that hadn't been fixed (I mistyped, meant 'had') and for which
the new patched/upgraded version couldn't be built under 2.2.8.  He said
something about wu-ftpd.

Well, I wasn't going to respond because talking to Brett Glass is like
talking to my monitor - it just does what it wants, not what I ask it to.
But then I got interested, so I went and checked anon-cvs and looked at
wu-ftpd.  There were changes committed on the 10th of February (by ache)
to close a security hole in vr12 (I have only heard of this one hole
recently so I imagine it's the one BG is discussing).  The cvs log for the
Makefile shows:

1.20 Wed Feb 10 12:48:04 1999 UTC by ache
Diffs to 1.19

upgrade to vr13 to close security hole and lots of enhancements

Since then the
version # has increased from vr13 to vr16.  Guess what?  It still builds
fine on the 2.2.8 system I'm typing this on.

Keep looking Brett.

I am now going to ignore all of BG's "pie in the sky" ideas that he's
never going to back up with any work, finish my thesis and use all my time
that I'll be saving to help FreeBSD instead of trying to make sense of
what BG is saying.

Brett Taylor
Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu *
                        brett@daemonnews.org              *