Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2001 15:17:59 -0600
From:      Anthony Kim <niceshorts@yahoo.com>
To:        Patrick O Reilly <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
Cc:        Ahsan Ali <ahsan@khi.comsats.net.pk>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail Domains

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001, Patrick O Reilly wrote:

> Here's my solution in a nutshell (in case anyone needs to know?):
>
> 1) add all the domians you will receive mail for into /etc/mail/local-
> host-names

    Bingo.

> 2) allocate a domain "shortname" of 3 or 4 characters to represent each
> domain in (1).  I use 4 characters like this:
> perimeter.co.za = peri
> domain1.com     = dom1
> domain2.com     = dom2
> etc.

    Hmm.

> 3) create mail login accounts in /etc/passwd in this format
> xxxx_yyyyyyyyyy.  The "xxxx" matches the user's domain from (2).
> The "yyyyyyyyyy" is the "username", or "email address", and is a max of
> 10 characters (total length must be <= 16).  So, my mail account
> is "peri_patrick", and some other guy called patrick in domain1.com
> is "dom1_patrick".
> 4) Finally, the virtusertable:  /etc/mail/virtusertable must have just
> one line for each mail account, like so:
> @perimeter.co.za    peri_%1
> @domain1.com        dom1_%1
> @domain2.com        dom2_%1

    It's important to know that although you can do everything
you outlined, mail interaction with users is not sendmail's
function and you wouldn't have to worry about passwd name
collision if you were to use an intelligent IMAP/POP server. For
example, you could use cyrus to serve IMAP and POP3 and create a
sandbox server where no user accounts exist. I belive vpopmail
offers something similar.

> Patrick.

I'm glad our pointers were able to help you.
Cheers,
--
"Le motd juste."