Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 1997 08:46:29 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        guelph@tpts5.seed.net.tw
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP interface setting

On Mon, Aug 18, 1997 at 08:10:44PM +0800, Gordon Wang wrote:
> Dear sir
>   I am a FreeBSD 2.2.1 user.
>   I have questions about PPP interface setting.
>  I am a dial-up isp user of a internet service company.
>

> questions:--------------------------------------------------------------
>
>   Hostname: Gordon.my.domain ( I set hostname to Gordon.my.domain.
>                               I think it's right)
>
>   Domain name: my.domain     ( I think it's right,too.)

No, this is *definitely* wrong.  Ask your ISP.

>   Gateway:???????  (About Gateway, Should I ask my ISP sevice company?
>                     Or this can be left empty?)

No, this can't be left empty.  Ask your ISP.  If you don't have a
local net, the value is probably non-critical.

>   Name server:????? (Should I put in the IP address of the server which
>                      I connected to every time I browsed around the web
>                      in the win95 environment?)

Yes, that's a good idea.

>   IP address:???????( What IP address should I put here?)

Ask your ISP.

>   Netmask:255.255.255.0 (I think this is corrct,just like  what I put in
>                          Win95. )

It's wrong (should be 255.255.255.255), but in your environment it
won't make any difference what value you put there.

Greg