Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:41:01 +0200
From:      "DA Forsyth" <iwrtech@iwr.ru.ac.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com
Subject:   re: Monitoring CPU temperature: mbmon shows 201 degrees C

From: Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com>

> Hi, i have had various crashes and segfaults in the last hot days
> (room temp about 30 deg C). I tried to monitor CPU temp with mbmon,
> which shows a very big value in COU temperature:

> I also opened the case in order to get ventilated with fresh air from
> the room.

Actually, that doesn't work, your components will get hotter.  This
is because the case provides a through flow environment where air is
forced to flow over most of the components most of the time.  By
opening the case you remove the force, and now have to rely on
convection.

What you want to do is make sure all the fans are running freely.
Especially the processor fan.  It may have stopped silently an dthat
would definitely cause crashes.

A fan at the front of the case blowing IN is more effective than one
on the back blowing out, so if there isn't one on the front, add one.
The 80 to 120mm ones can be very quiet and some can control their own
speed if your motherboard cannot do it.  If one can blow in the front
and directly on the harddrives then that is a bonus, cool harddrives
last longer.

The basic idea of a case is to have air coming in the front and
exiting at the rear.  So make sure all your fans are blowing in the
right direction.

My office goes to 38C in summer, and all 5 computers just keep on
going, using the principles above.  I fitted a fan to the UPS as well
(-:

--
       DA Fo rsyth            Network Supervisor
Principal Technical Officer -- Institute for Water Research