Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 2002 13:20:00 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
To:        "Brossin Pierrick" <pbrossin@swissgeeks.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apache2 and php4

From: "Brossin Pierrick" <pbrossin@swissgeeks.com>

> Hi,
>
> I compiled those two ports and actually PHP is not working if I create a
> .php ou .php4 file.
>
> I'm aware I should maybe make some changed on httpd.conf but I'm
wondering
> why.
> Doesn't the PHP4 port modify the conf file automatically ?

Yes.

To verify:
----
# cd /usr/local/etc/apache
# grep php httpd.conf
LoadModule php4_module        libexec/apache/libphp4.so
AddModule mod_php4.c
    <IfModule mod_php3.c>
        <IfModule mod_php4.c>
            DirectoryIndex index.php index.php3 index.html
        <IfModule !mod_php4.c>
            DirectoryIndex index.php3 index.html
    <IfModule !mod_php3.c>
        <IfModule mod_php4.c>
            DirectoryIndex index.php index.html
        <IfModule !mod_php4.c>
<Files ~ "\.(cgi|shtml|phtml|php3?)$">
----

The first two lines (LoadModule and AddModule) are the lines added when
you install php4.

But - I have seen the install script do something silly of you have
apache+mod_ssl.  If the above looks fine, but you have apache+mod_ssl,
then the problem is this:

The install script places the LoadModule line INSIDE the conditional
processing for SSL.  This is a bug (as far as I am concerned).

You might find the following lines inside httpd.conf:
----
<IfDefine SSL>
LoadModule ssl_module         libexec/apache/libssl.so
LoadModule php4_module        libexec/apache/libphp4.so
</IfDefine>
----
If so, simply move the php4 line outside of the IfDefine, like this:
---
LoadModule php4_module        libexec/apache/libphp4.so
<IfDefine SSL>
LoadModule ssl_module         libexec/apache/libssl.so
</IfDefine>
---

Do something similar for the AddModule line for php4.  Then :
# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh stop
# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh start

HTH.

---