Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 19:21:39 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Chris Dillon" <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, "Brandon Fosdick" <bfoz@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cyrus Troubles

From: "Chris Dillon" <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
> On Mon, 15 May 2000, Brandon Fosdick wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have Cyrus IMAP working on a 4.0-S box? I installed it from
> > ports, changed the approriate lines in inet.conf, did a kill -HUP pid,
> > and...nothing. I can't access the account. What am I forgetting? I've
> > looked through the install instructions in /usr/local/share/docs/cyrus/
> > but didn't receive any more wisdom than i started out with. Trying the
> > imtest thing listed in the install file gives me this:

Not currently, runni9ng on 4.0, but I do have it running on 3.3-STABLE.

$ imtest -m login -p imap localhost
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * OK spare.westbend.net Cyrus IMAP4 v1.6.22 server ready
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ NAMESPACE UIDPLUS
X-NON-HIERARCHICAL-RENAME NO_ATOMIC_RENAME AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD
5 UNSELECT
S: C01 OK Completed
Password:

The secret to getting SASL working is to create the sasldb.db file by using
saslpasswd.

NOTE: You must run the program as the cyrus user the first time, as the
sasldb.db file needs to be owned by this user.

$ ls -l /usr/local/etc/sasldb.db
-rw-------  1 cyrus  wheel  16384 Feb 14 23:38 sasldb.db

In Cyrus.conf I have:

cat /usr/local/lib/sasl/Cyrus.conf
pwcheck_method:shadow

and in imapd.conf I use:

# If enabled, the partitions will also be hashed, in addition to the hashing
# done on configuration directories.  This is recommended if one partition
has
# a very bushy mailbox tree.
#
hashimapspool: true

# The mechanism used by the server to verify plaintext passwords.  Possible
# values include "PAM", "kerberos_v4", "passwd", and "shadow"
#
sasl_pwcheck_method: pwcheck

# If  enabled,  the  SASL library will automatically create authentication
# secrets when given a plaintext password.  See the SASL documentation.
#
#sasl_auto_transition: no

You'll also want to make sure that the pwcheck daemon is running.

> I've gone thorough all of the Cyrus and SASL docs and played with
> various configure options and so forth, without figuring it out.  I'm
> only testing things out here, but I'd like to eventually get it
> running on a 3.4-STABLE box as well.

It took me a little while in getting it to work the first time.  Had to dig
thru the cyrus-info archive for others that were having the same problems.

Scot