Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 11:42:49 -0500
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64 bit times revisited..

* Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk> [011026 11:39] wrote:
> In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0110261046280.10928-100000@InterJet.elischer.org>, Ju
> lian Elischer writes:
>
> >considering that we didn't have ANY sub-second resolution for a long time
> >I think that
> >looking for sub microsecond resolution on access times is pointless at
> >this time..
>
> I am looking for it at this time, not _for_ this time, but _for_
> the future.
>
> If state of the art equipment can break the make(1) assumption today,
> what do you think the life expectancy of the designed concept is ?
>
> Certainly not 10+ years.
>
> And have you considered that there may be other and stronger
> requirements than make(1) and that multi-cpu, multi-threaded systems
> may push the envelope ?
>
> Solving the problem means going for a timestamp which can resolve
> any conceiveable CPU frequencies for all relevant future.

I guess I should have more in depth knowledge of these systems by
now, but what's wrong with having the in-core being a full
64/128/whatever bits while the on disk itself doesn't?

At least until Kirk does his new layout, it might be a compromise
to regain out 2037 safety a bit early on.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
                           http://www.morons.org/rants/gpl-harmful.php3