Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 10:56:00 -0700
From:      "Childers, Richard" <RCHILDER@hamquist.com>
To:        "'H. Eckert '" <ripley@nostromo.in-berlin.de>, "'freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG '" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Little question (offtopic)

Continuing to wander off-topic, here ... I've noticed that FreeBSD 3.1 will
not allow more that four swap partitions. Does anyone know why this is?

Some clarifications are in order. Hypothesize a generic system with two IDE
channels, a SCSI controller and a few SCSI drives stuck into spare spaces.

IDE 0 has two IDE drives; one contains the operating system and the other
contains user data. IDE 1 is dedicated to the CDROM.

The user opts to spread his swap partitions across all five drives - 64 MB
per drive - like a good little sysadmin, spreading his I/O across multiple
spindles. He can see the drives, he can FDISK the drives, he can label the
drives. He can mount the filesystems on all the drives, and access the data
without SCB messages splashing across his screen.  (-:

But when he runs 'swapon -a' it complains about the fifth swap partition (I
must bow my head with shame and note that I do not have my notes regarding
the precise message with me at the moment - something about 'not a swap
device').

No problem, our hero thinks, dusting off his long-term memory and recalling
the config files of yore; without even looking it up he can feel it come
back, as to the line

    root on wd0

... he adds lines specifying swap :

    root on wd0 swap on wd0 and wd1 and da0 and da1 and da2 and da3

Smugly, he recompiles the kernel and reboots. The same thing happens.

After some experimentation he establishes that he can have any four swap
partitions; but only four.

Would someone care to discuss why this is? References to specific files that
would allow this to be changed would be appreciated; pointers to READMEs or
FAQs that are relevant would be appreciated.

And I haven't even started discussing the implications of device names being
relative to device discovery instead of being relative to SCSI ID ...

-- richard

Richard Childers
Senior UNIX Systems Administrator
Hambrecht & Quist, LLC