Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 2003 00:00:37 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd@fishballoon.org>
To:        Noor Dawod <noor@comrax.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sudden and unexplained reboots

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 06:37:55AM +0200, Noor Dawod wrote:
> Folks,
>
> After spending like an hour next to the server itself, I saw it crash
> with a 'page fault' panic. All speculations about fans and CPU
> over-heating is irrelevant as the server's cooling infrastructure is
> working perfectly (2 fans for CPU, 2 fans for disks, 2 external fans, 2
> fans for the power supplies, and all are working.)

> Anyone knows what the hell is going on?
> By the way, is there a way to dump the panic's message to disk
> automatically when a panic occurs? Is there a log somewhere when a panic
> occurs?

Take a look at chapter 17 of the developers handbook:

http://www.uk.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html

You want to save a crash dump when you get another one of these panics,
that you can analyse later with gdb to find out exactly where it's
crashing.

I shouldn't speculate on causes until you have more idea what's happening,
but this does smell like failing hardware.  In your position, I'd be
thinking about swapping RAM and maybe the power supply.

	Scott

Scott Mitchell           | PGP Key ID | "Eagles may soar, but weasels
Cambridge, England       | 0x54B171B9 |  don't get sucked into jet engines"
scott at fishballoon.org | 0xAA775B8B |      -- Anon