Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 06:19:31 -0500
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        <support@invictanet.co.uk>, "Freebsd-Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ftp & telnet

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of Customer
Support
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2000 3:58 AM
To: FreeBSD-Questions (E-mail)
Subject: ftp & telnet

Hi

I have just installed FreeBSD3.4 on a new server that I want to put online
asap.

My problem is that when I try to telnet or ftp to this server, the
connection just sits and waits until it eventually times out.

This happens when trying to connect from another FreeBSD machine (3.4 & 4.0)
and also from a Win98 machine.

All these machines are currently on a 192.168.* network and all other
services (DNS, HTTPD etc)seem to work fine.

Anyone have any ideas please?

I am assuming that you can ping into this machine just fine, then.  You
could look at /etc/inetd.conf and make sure it has the lines

ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/libexec/ftpd ftpd -l
telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/libexec/telnetd telnetd

Then you can check /etc/services for the following lines:
ftp-data 20/tcp
ftp-data 20/udp
ftp 21/tcp
ftp 21/udp
telnet 23/tcp
telnet 23/udp

It seems somewhat odd to me that telnet and ftp don't work as they are
enabled by default when you install FreeBSD.  The other thing you could
check is to try to telnet into the box and while you are doing that try
#ps -aux |grep "telnetd" to see if inetd is spawning a telnetd.  (and
likewise for ftpd)

That's all I can think of.

Josh

Martyn Routley