Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2006 02:57:07 +0100
From:      Shaun Amott <shaun@inerd.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: portscout - new distfile scanner

The results from third public run are in.

The good news is that I found the cause of most, possibly all, of the
false positives that showed up previously - it was a fundamental design
oversight. It seems to be fixed now.

Apologies if I caused any panic / unnecessary work for anyone.

portscout now attempts to search for the newest file rather than just
the next update since the current release. It is also providing evidence
for its claims (i.e. URLs), and a hint as to how the new version
information was ascertained.

The new version numbers are linked to the new distfile, and the port
names are linked to freshports. That extra column indicates whether the
port distfile was found by guessing (incrementing each version
component and requesting the file = "G"), or from a list of files ("L").

I noticed that I forgot to clear out my refuse file, so ports with any
of the following as their primary category were not checked:

   arabic, chinese, french, german, hebrew, hungarian, japanese, korean,
   polish, portuguese, russian, ukrainian

I am in the process of adding support for filtering versions using
Edwin's restricted-ports datafile, as well as better handling of ports
with multiple versions in the tree. There are just a few cases that
aren't dealt with properly.

If you would like to receive an automated reminder e-mail for updated
ports, let me know, and I will add you to the list when it is setup.

Also, if any of your ports use an odd/even versioning system (and you
want to ignore certain updates), or the version number counts backwards,
(like 2.100 -> 2.2) or any other special treatment is required, I can
configure portscout to take care of it when this functionality is added.

Enjoy!

-Shaun

--
Shaun Amott [ PGP: 0x6B387A9A ]