Date:      03 Dec 1999 14:54:28 +0100
From:      Kent Boortz <kent@erix.ericsson.se>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Out of swap hangs machine

Maybe I'm a bit confused about the expected bahaviour but I was under
the impression that running a program as an ordinary user is not
supposed to make an Unix system unusable. That is what makes a big
difference between Unix and operating systems like Windows98 or MacOS.

I have had several crashes where I can't access my machine console,
i.e. X-Windows has hung, I can't terminate X with ctrl-alt-backspace
and I can't switch console with ctlr-alt-F1. The cause has been running
an ordinary program, ImageMagick, with a rather large file reaching
the swap space limit. In my /var/log/messages I can see

  Dec  1 01:48:48 lolo /kernel: swap_pager: out of swap space
  Dec  1 01:48:49 lolo /kernel: pid 34092 (montage), uid 825, was killed: out of swap space
  Dec  1 01:59:23 lolo /kernel: swap_pager: out of swap space
  Dec  1 02:00:27 lolo /kernel: pid 34113 (montage), uid 825, was killed: out of swap space
  Dec  1 02:00:29 lolo last message repeated 3 times
  Dec  1 02:07:27 lolo /kernel: swap_pager: out of swap space

At this stage the machine is unusable and I had to reboot with the
hardware switch, no more log entries.

  Dec  1 04:53:01 lolo /kernel: swap_pager: I/O error - pagein failed; blkno 856138, size 4096, error 22
  Dec  1 04:53:01 lolo /kernel: vm_fault: pager read error, pid 544 (convert)

I had to use the hardware switch this time as well, nothing more in the log.
I run FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE #2 (cvsup 22 Nov)

Could someone clearify this matter? Is it my setup that allow ordinary
users too much freedom or is this a problem with FreeBSD?

kent