Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 1997 18:17:11 +1100
From:      davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
To:        drussell@mail1.internode.net (Doug Russell)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getty/mgetty

Doug Russell writes:
> So, I grabbed mgetty, and scared myself with it's sheer
> gargantuan nature...

Yes. I've been using mgetty for months now, and wasn't happy
with it at all given that it was only a relatively tiny subset
of its functionality that was needed. At some stage in its
history, it came down with a bad case of featuritis.

> getty would be fine if it did the PPP drop though thing.  Is
> there a simpler way of doing all this without having to munch
> around with mgetty?

I believe so since our getty should do it already. I haven't yet
tested it, but will be doing so in the next couple of days, but
many folks maintain that it works.

> Ian is working on a little wrapper program that is going to go
> in the login process somewhere to allow simple shell/ppp access
> depending on the user's mood for advanced users, and straight
> through to PPP for others, but we are trying to not re-invent
> the wheel here...  If a simpler method for doing
> some of this already exists, why hack the code, right?  :-)

FWIW, I have something that does this already, called 'userls'
(user login service). You can find it at:

    http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/UNIX/userls-1.5.tar.gz

It can be hooked into login.conf shell=/path/userls or via
symlinks to a pseudo shell. It is entirely transparent to
network shell logins.

> Anyway, I'm still digging through the source for getty and
> login and some other things right now trying to decide what
> the best way to go about getting this to work the way I want
> it is....

There's no need to involve either.

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/