Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 2003 17:13:24 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        "W. Sierke" <ws@senet.com.au>
Cc:        "Steven G. Kargl" <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 12:07:06PM +0930, W. Sierke wrote:
> "Steven G. Kargl" wrote:
> > W. Sierke said:
> > > Follow the second link in the footer of a message you've received from
> the
> > > list (the unlabeled one starting http://).
> >
> > I use elm or mutt, so following a link isn't that simple.
> > You're also assuming I have web browser access, which I do
> > at the moment, but tomorrow I'll have only telnet/ssh access to
> > my non-web based accounts.

Maybe you cannot access services on port 80 regardless of software.
There would be a small but real number of others in that position.

> My condolences. Rather than make a further assumption that you've retained
> the 'Welcome' message that you would have received when you subscribed to
> freebsd-questions,

Ahem... I have indeed retained the Welcome message from when I
subscribed, and it looks nothing like the one below.

> I've included below the section that's probably most
> relevant for you:
>

> If you ever want to unsubscribe or change your options (eg, switch to
> or from digest mode, change your password, etc.), visit your
> subscription page at:
>
>   http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/options/freebsd-questions/...

>   freebsd-questions-request@freebsd.org
>
> with the word `help' in the subject or body (don't include the
> quotes), and you will get back a message with instructions.

Thanks for posting that. It's exactly the info that people in
this situation would need to know but would not have.

I have been subscribed to a large unknown number of FreeBSD lists
since 1997 at my present location, and other places before that.
If I ever had to move again, I guess the way to change address
cleanly now would be to attempt to unsubscribe from every mailing
list offered at FreeBSD.org.

OK, I've done some experimenting. The well known 'help' command
to majordomo returns standard majordomo help file but an informative
note about the changed software appears boldly at the top. It
suggests using the majordomo 'list' (sic) command to see which lists
have moved over. When I corrected this to 'lists' and retried it
showed me that all lists have moved over to the new software, and
it displayed the -request address for each. From that I can work
out each list's -unsubscribe address.

and got a note back within seconds telling me I'm not a member.
Great. To change email address I used to ask majordomo what I'm
subscribed to, then unsubscribe to them at the old place and resub
at the new. Now we need a new technique. Provided my list of all
lists is up to date, to unsubscribe from all subscribed lists would
only be a matter of scripting 100 emails before I walk out the door
clutching large box and hanky.

Are Steven and I still missing something?

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-