Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2002 17:49:36 -0600
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
To:        Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        "Maren S. Leizaola" <maren@leizaola.com>, FBSDQ <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Rod Person <roddierod@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: SQUEEEZING the most bandwidth out of a 33.6 modem

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 11:42:42AM -0500 I heard the voice of
Joe & Fhe Barbish, and lo! it spake thus:

> | The connection speed using a 56k enabled modem is a function of
> | phone line conditions and speed of PC (cpu mhz & bus mhz).

It's only a function of the CPU speed if you have a POS software modem.
And unless you've got a 286 around, the bus speed won't be your
bottleneck either.

And there is NOTHING keeping you from connection V.90 at 56000 baud; the
53k limit is a X2 limitation, and I haven't seen anybody using X2 in
years.

> Question? Shouldn't V.90 modems be able to negotiate a speed fall forward
> if the link quality is there? Or did they forget to put that in the
> standard?

In theory, it's in there.

In practice, *VERY* few modems will even attempt it.

> of each individual phone circuit vary greatly. If the circuit is so poor
> when you dial in to your ISP that you only get connected at 48000 the likely
> hood of it getting better during  it's use life time is very unlikely to
> none. By setting s38 to some minimum value the modem hardware will hangup

If clean 48000 baud connections qualify as "only", I'd love to know what
sort of telco YOU'RE working with...

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@futuresouth.com